This is one of our most popular safaris because it offers a wonderful combination of mountain scenery, lake birds and plains dotted with game. En route you will see thorn trees: flat-topped, umbrella trees, traditionally ... more »
This is one of our most popular safaris because it offers a wonderful combination of mountain scenery, lake birds and plains dotted with game. En route you will see thorn trees: flat-topped, umbrella trees, traditionally where travellers would post messages for each other.
This itinerary starts in Aberdares National Park, an area of exceptional natural beauty. Your stay here is at Treetops, one of the most famous game viewing lodges in the world. Onto Lake Naivasha where over 450 species of birds have been recorded in and around this freshwater lake with the highest concentrations between October and March.
Finally the safari ends in the world-famous Masai Mara, home to the big five. You will stay at Mara Simba Lodge which sits overlooking a dramatic bend on the bank of the Talek, a tributary of the Mara River, gently blending into the surrounding wilderness.
The Thorn Tree Safari offers great value and can be combined easily with a few days on the beach.
1 night Aberdares (Treetops)
1 night Lake Naivasha (Lake Naivasha Simba Lodge)
2 nights Masai Mara (Mara Simba Lodge)
DAY 1 TUESDAY OR SATURDAY - HEATHROW-NAIROBI
- Fly from Heathrow overnight to Nairobi.
DAY 2 WEDNESDAY OR SUNDAY - ABERDARES
- On arrival transfer to the Somak Safari Lounge, where you can freshen up before departing for lunch at the Outspan Hotel (180 km). Transfer to Treetops, where game can be viewed from the many balconies overlooking the waterhole. (Please limit your luggage to an overnight bag, the remainder can be stored at Outspan. Bathroom facilities are shared)
DAY 3 THURSDAY OR MONDAY - LAKE NAKURU-LAKE NAIVASHA
- Drive to Lake Nakuru (180 km, collecting luggage en route). Enjoy a game drive in the Lake Nakuru National Park, sanctuary to one of the largest populations of rhinos in Kenya, plus Rothschild's giraffes, leopards and lions. Drive to Lake Naivasha (80 km). Overnight: Lake Naivasha Simba Lodge
DAY 4 FRIDAY OR TUESDAY - MASAI MARA
- Drive to the Masai Mara (250 km). Afternoon game drive. Overnight: Mara Simba Lodge.
DAY 5 SATURDAY OR WEDNESDAY - MASAI MARA
- Enjoy an early morning balloon flight over the Mara, followed by a 'bubbly' bush breakfast (optional extra), or an early morning game drive followed by breakfast at the lodge. A second game drive will take place in the late afternoon. Overnight: Mara Simba Lodge.
DAY 6 SUNDAY OR THURSDAY - EXTENSION OR HEATHROW
- Return to Nairobi (300 km), then proceed with your chosen beach extension or return to Heathrow.
Option to fly from the Mara to Nairobi on day 6 or from the Mara to Mombasa (includes lunch in the Mara) - prices on request.
Light aircraft baggage allowance - 15 kg.
Please note. Children aged 7 and below are not permitted on this safari Reference :